Name and Purpose
This Society shall be known as the Watercolor Society of South Texas (“WSST” or “Society”) with Headquarters in South Texas.
The Society was formed to elevate the status of watercolor and to educate the public to the significance of watercolor as an important creative and permanent painting medium.
There will be no group bias for or against conservatism or modernism. The Society shall further the interests of painters in watercolor by its programs and its competitive exhibits, and shall encourage its study by art students and others engaged in watercolor painting.
The Society shall at all times be dedicated to the highest aesthetic standards.
The Society shall further the interests of painters in watercolor by its programs and competitive exhibits, and shall encourage study by art students and others engaged in watercolor painting. The Society shall not sanction any bias among varying schools of art.
Active Membership Classifications
1. There shall be two (3) classes of membership.
- Individual/Student – $35
- Life/ Past President – No Charge
- Honorary (Nonactive) – No Charge
2. A Life member may be classified as a founding member and or receive “Life Member” status by the board. (Section Five)
3. A Past President will receive “Life Member” status by the board. (Section Five)
3. The Board of Directors of the Society shall have the authority to increase or reduce dues as sound management of the Society may require.
Membership is accepted through (1) Internet/paypal payment including (recurring) payment schedules yearly or (2) by mail with check or chasiers check. Payment may also be accepted at sign up for our yearly member exhibition.
Forfeiture for Non-Payment of Dues
Nonpayment of dues by any member after 1 year of any year shall automatically forfeit the membership of such member, and such member shall be removed from the rolls of the Society. Reinstatement may be arranged with the Second Vice President (Membership Chairman).
1. All watercolor painters are eligible to become active Members in the Society.
2. Active Members shall have full voting privileges. These Members are eligible to serve on the Board of Directors as Officers of the Society, as Chairmen and Members of any Committees of the Society. (Article IV, Section One.)
3. Active Members are eligible for entry to our yearly Members exhibition and other activities such as paint-outs, ZOOM or internet classes, Art Center classes hosted by our society.
WSST Signature Member Status
Those Active Members whose work has been 1) accepted into the SWS and/or 2) wins an award or any award of distinction in any five (5) Open Membership Shows of the WSST and/or SWS shall become WSST Signature Members and shall be entitled to display the WSST signature on their work. No other Members of the Society shall display the WSST signature on their work.
POINT SYSTEM: Points are gained by 1) receiving an award or any award of distinction at a WSST Annual Members Exibition (From 2015 forward) (1 Point) and/or 2) Acceptance into the juried SWS show (1 point) and/or 3) receiving an award or any award of distinction in the annual SWS Members Exhibition. (1 point)
With the successful accumulation of five (5) points, a WSST member may be entitled to display his/her WSST Signature Status.
Qualification for signature status and point awards will be announced at the annual WSST Members Show and Exhibition.
In 2020 only, the board has elected to recognize signature status points to be attained and awarded to active members between the years 2015-2019 (5 years).
Qualification and application for Signature status points that were accumulated in 2015 and thereafter to 2019, should be in writing for review by the Board of Directors prior to the Members Exhibition in August 2020.
Proof of awards either recognized by the WSST and/or SWS should be submitted along with an application for Signature Status or points accumulation in writing. Applicants who qualify for signature status will be announced at the 50th Anniversary Members exhibition in 2020 and therafter.
A Membership Show or Exhibition, in order to be a qualifying event, must be open to all Members of the Society. No painting may be entered in more than one WSST sponsored event in order to gain more than one (1) point toward signature status. Any painting may earn only one point toward signature status. Acceptance to the SWS Members Exhibition in the same calendar year of the WSST Members Exhibition may receive points towards signature status. (Article VI.)
Honorary, Past President and Life Members
1. The Board of Directors may grant Honorary Membership to any person who has made a significant contribution to the Society or to the art of watercolor. These Members are eligible to enter WSST sponsored juried exhibits.
2. The Board of Directors may grant Life Membership in the Society to any Active Member who has made a significant contribution to the Society. This includes Past Presidents and Life Members who are eligible to enter any WSST sponsored exhibit and are considered Active Members with voting privileges. They do not pay membership dues.
Management of the Society
Government of the Society
The Board of Directors shall be the governing body of the Society and shall manage and govern the affairs of the Society. The President of the Society shall be the Chairman of the Board. The Board shall, from time to time, make, adopt, amend or modify such standards, rules and regulations for governing of the Society as it deems necessary and appropriate, not inconsistent with these Bylaws. (Article VIII.)
Members – Board of Directors
1. Officers of the Society shall include the President, First Vice President (Program Chairman), Second Vice President (Membership Chairman), Third Vice President (Workshop Chairman), Fourth Vice President (Exhibits Chairman), Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Treasurer and Parliamentarian (the immediate past President).
2. In the absence of such officers, the acting President shall hold seat in those capacities that include the Program Chairman, Membership Chairman, Workshop Chairman, Exhibits Chairman, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Standing Committee Chairman, Special Committees and Standing Committee.
3. Standing Committee Chairmen of the Society shall include Editor of the WSST Newsletter, Workshops, Assistant Exhibition, Paint-Outs, Public Relations, and any other committees to be created in the future and not set out in these Bylaws.
4. Special Committees of the Society shall include Professional Standards, Bylaws, House & Properties, Scholarship, Telephone, Social, Archives, Signature Group, Painting of the Month, and Endowment & Annuities Chairmen, Film Librarian, Directory Editor, and Photographer.
5. The Chairman of each Standing Committee and Special Committee is appointed by the President. (Article V.) Chairmen then may select additional Members of their committee as needed. These committee Members will not be voting Members of the Board of Directors. Each Special Committee Chairman will work directly with an Officer or Standing Committee Chairman.
Power and Function – President
The President shall preside at meetings of the Board, the Officers, and the Society membership, and shall determine the agenda of such meetings. The President shall be responsible for the administration of the day-to-day business of the Society through its Officers and Committees.
The President may create and dissolve Committees, whether standing or otherwise, for such purpose and tenure as he/she deems necessary, except those created by the Bylaws. The President may call Special Meetings of the membership for such purpose as he/she deems necessary. He/She shall appoint the Chairman of each Standing Committee.
Meetings – Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall meet when called by the President and at such place as the President shall determine. The President shall call a meeting of the Board when requested to do so by two or more Members of the Board, but at the time and under the conditions prescribed by the President.
Quorum – Board of Directors
The Quorum for the meetings of the Board of Directors to transact business shall be seven (7) persons.
Voting – Board of Directors
A majority vote of the Officers and Chairmen present at any meeting of the Board, shall be sufficient to conduct the business of the Board.
Vacancy – Board of Directors
1. In the event of the vacancy, resignation, death, or disability of the President, the First Vice President shall become the President of the Society for the remainder of that term (or until the President is able to resume official duties.)
2. A vacancy of any other Office shall be filled by the unanimous action of the remaining Officers and by ratification of the Board of Directors.
3. The vacancy of a Standing or Special Committee Chairman will be filled by an appointee selected by the President.
Tenure – Board of Directors
The tenure for the Board of Directors shall be one year to begin on June 1, and end on May 31 of the next year. All members may succeed themselves. However, no Officer or Chairman of a Standing Committee shall hold the same office or chairmanship for more than two consecutive years with the exception of the President, VP , Newsletter and website editor and the Treasurer.
Records – Board of Directors
1. All of the Officers and Chairmen shall each year prepare and maintain a file on all activities and endeavors performed during his tenure of office. The file shall be designated year by year with the appropriate year. Such file shall be delivered to the next immediate successor at his induction to office or chairmanship, and shall be used by the successor as an aid and guide for the conduct of his official function. Such successor in office shall prepare a like file with like designation. The file received from his Predecessor in office shall be delivered to the keeper of the Archives.
2. All official correspondence by an Officer or Chairman shall include a copy mailed to the President and Corresponding Secretary. Such correspondence shall be preserved in the annual permanent file of each Officer and Chairman.
Policies of the Society
Policy is defined as a definite course or method of action to guide and determine present and future action. Effective Policies may become proposed Amended Bylaws by a majority vote of the Board of Directors. Amended Policies and Additional Policies may be approved and adopted by a majority vote of a the Board of Directors. (Article VIII.)
Limitations of Expenditures
No disbursement of funds shall be made in excess of $400 except by order of the Board of Directors. No debts incurred or contracts made by any member of the Board of Directors or by any member of the Society in excess of $400 shall be binding on the Society. Disbursements shall be made by check and signed by the President and/or the First Vice President and the Treasurer.
Qualification – Officers of the Society
All Active Members may volunteer and/or be appointed to server as an Officer. The President may appoint by his/her discretion officers who are qualified to serve in the Society as an Officer.
General Function – Officers
The officers of the Society shall administer the day-to-day functions and business of the Society under the management of the Board of Directors and pursuant to the duties delegated to them by the Board and under the description in the Bylaws of their function, powers and duties.
Nomination and Election – Officers
In November of each year the Board of Directors shall appoint a committee to nominate Officers for the ensuing year. The Nominating Committee shall include three Members from the Board and two Active Members from the general membership. The Nominating Committee shall file its report of appointments in January to the Board, which shall accept or reject all or part of such nominees.
Election of Officers shall be held at the business meeting of the membership in March in South Texas.
The Officers shall be elected from those nominated by the Committee or nominated from the floor. Each candidate, having a majority vote of the attending Members shall be elected to Office. The elected Officers shall be installed at the scheduled meeting of the Society in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Quorum – Officers
A quorum at meetings of the Officers shall be (5). A majority vote shall determine the question of any motion or action at the Officer’s meetings.
Meeting – Officers
The Officers shall meet at such time and place called by the President.
Duties and Responsibility – Officers
1. President: The President shall execute the day-to-day administration of the business and functions of the Society. The President shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Society, shall direct the affairs of the Society and provide leadership direction of the Officers and its Members. He/She shall preside at all Quarterly membership meetings, and/or monthly lectures, and demonstrations. The President shall obtain meeting places for the Society, its Workshops, Lectures and demonstrations. He/She shall preside at meetings of the Officers and appoint the agenda of such meetings. He/She may create committees for such purpose as he/she deems necessary. He/She shall be an ex-officio member of each committee, with the exception of the Nominating Committee, and shall appoint the Chairman of each Standing Committee and Special Committee.
2. First Vice President: This Vice President shall be the Chief Executive Assistant to the President and will assume the duties of the President in his/her absence or inability to serve. He/She shall be the Chairman of the Program Committee, and is the ex-officio member of each committee. The First Vice President, as Chairman of the Program Committee, shall arrange all Programs for the Society, its Workshops, Lectures and Demonstrations. Agreements shall be made by the First Vice President with non-Member, or qualified-Member Artists to conduct Workshops. (Article IX, Section Two.) The chairman of the House and Properties Committee will report to the First Vice President.
3. Second Vice President: This Vice President will be the Membership Chairman and shall accept all membership applications.
This Officer shall keep an accurate updated membership roll in cooperation with the Treasurer. All dues will be first sent to the Membership Chairman. This Officer is responsible for all checks received for the dues and membership. These checks are then turned over to the Treasurer. The Membership Chairman is responsible for checking the eligibility of all Members submitting entries in any SWS sponsored exhibit. The Membership Chairman is also responsible for supplying additions and deletions to the Directory Editor and the mailing service and for supplying a list of all new Members to the Editor of the Scene. The following Committee Chairmen will report to this officer: Telephone, Directory Editor, Hospitality, and Christmas Party Chairman.
4. Third Vice President: This Vice President will be the Workshop Chairman and shall coordinate with the workshop teacher, plan location of paint-outs, if any, and furnish all the clerical work, i.e., rosters, schedules, directions, etc. for the enrollees, and collect the fees. Fees for the workshops are set by the Board of Directors. The following Committee Chairman will report to this officer: Scholarship.
5. Fourth Vice President: This Vice President will be the Exhibition Chairman and shall select and recruit all Members of his committee with the exception of the Assistant Exhibition Chairman. The Assistant Exhibition Chairman shall be a member of the Board of Directors, and will automatically succeed to the chairmanship upon installation of the next administration. This selection will be made by the Nominating Committee. It shall be the duty of the Exhibition Chairman and Assistant Exhibition Chairman to make recommendations to the Board of Directors covering the plans, budgets, details, and other arrangements for the Annual Membership Exhibition, or other shows if any, during the year for which they are responsible The selection of any Juror will be approved by the Board of Directors. The following Special Committee Chairmen will report to this Officer: Professional Standards, Painting of the Month, Signature Group.
6. Recording Secretary: This Officer shall prepare and keep records of each meeting of the Board of Directors, of the Officers and of the Members. This secretary shall prepare copies of the Minutes for each Board member and shall maintain and preserve all records of the business of the Society and its membership and shall maintain a file of the records and business of the Society, including new policies approved by the Board of Directors.
7. Corresponding Secretary: This secretary will prepare all correspondence for the President, other Officers and Standing and Special Committee Chairman as they need assistance and will keep an accurate file of all correspondence of the Society, supplying additional copies to the appropriate chairmen.
8. Treasurer: The Treasurer shall have charge of the funds and of the financial records of the Society. He/She shall make necessary disbursements for the business of the Society. Disbursements shall be made by checks signed by both the Treasurer and the President or First Vice President. He/She shall maintain books and records and have them available for the Board and make reports of the financial status at Board and Social meetings. At the end of each fiscal year, the Treasurer shall prepare and present a written annual financial report.
9. Parliamentarian: The immediate past President shall act as Parliamentarian and inform the President on correct proceedings according to the Bylaws and Policies. The Robert’s Rules of Order shall be the guide for procedure for all business and Board meetings.
10. Chairman Pro-Tempore: In the absence of the President and First Vice President, the President shall appoint an Officer to preside at that meeting.
Chairmen – Standing and Special Committee
Standing Committee Chairmen – Duties and Responsibilities
1. Editor WSST South Texas WC Scene Newsletter shall gather information, edit news, and publish the Scene at least eight times yearly. The Editor may appoint a staff to assist in publishing the newsletter.
2. Assistant Exhibits Chairman will assist the Exhibits Chairman and will become Exhibits Chairman the following year.
3. Public Relations Chairman shall recommend to the Board means of promoting the purpose of the Society. He/She shall prepare releases for the news media.
4. Paint-Outs Chairman shall arrange local and out-of-town painting excursions. These paint-outs shall be conducted for the benefit of all to bring all Members into a closer relationship. This Chairman is responsible for fees, publicity and articles in the Scene Newsletter pertaining to the paint-outs.
5. Workshop Assistant shall volunteer and help at all scheduled workshops including setting up / closing end of day activity. This also includes getting coffee, snacks, name-tags and other assigned duties for a workshop as instructed by the President.
Special Committee Chairmen – Duties and Responsibilities
1. Professional Standards Chairman shall hold before the Society actions that keep our standards high in the realm of professionalism. He/She shall keep the records of WSST Signature Members. This Chairman will report directly to the Fourth Vice President (Exhibits Chairman).
2. Bylaws Chairman shall make recommendations to the President of changes which need to be made in the Bylaws and inform the President on correct proceedings according to the Bylaws. This Chairman will report directly to the President.
3. House and Properties Chairman shall list all physical properties of the Society and maintain a current record of their location. He/She shall oversee the physical arrangement of the room for the membership meetings and for the workshops. This Chairman will report directly to the First Vice President (Program Chairman).
4. Scholarships Chairman shall select Active Members as Membership Scholarship recipients. This Chairman will report directly to the Third Vice President (Workshop Chairman).
5. Communications Chairman shall serve as a communication medium for activities recommended by the President and shall assist the other Officers and Standing and Special Committee Chairman. This Chairman will report directly to the Second Vice President (Membership Chairman).
6. Social Chairman shall arrange and assist in all social activities of the membership (except paint-outs); attend meetings, welcome and greet new Members and guest. This Chairman will report directly to the Second Vice President (Membership Chairman).
7. Archives Chairman shall keep the permanent records of all the Officers and committee Chairmen for the preservation of all historical records of the Society. All adopted policies should be placed in the records of this chairman. This Chairman will report directly to the President.
8. Signature Group Chairman is responsible for a yearly activity for all “WSST” Signature Members. This Chairman reports directly to the Fourth Vice President (Exhibitions Chairman).
9. Media Librarian maintains the file library, lending and receiving media belonging to the Society. This Chairman reports directly to the First Vice President.
10. Photographer takes photos of activities of the club. All photos will be received by the Editor. This chairman reports directly to the Public Relations Chairman but will assist other Chairmen.
11. Painting of the Month Chairman is responsible for the exhibit of paintings at the general meeting. He/she is responsible for an article and photograph of the Winners to be placed in the Scene newsletter the following month. This Chairman reports directly to the Fourth Vice President (Exhibits Chairman).
12. Directory Editor shall be responsible for maintenance of the SWS Directory. This Chairman will report directly to the Second Vice President (Membership Chairman).
13. Investment Chairman (details TBA)
Meeting of Membership
Meetings – Membership
Membership meetings shall be held Quarterly in January, April, July and October of each calendar year. Meetings are in recess during the months other than those listed as our Quarterly meeting months. In these Bylaws the term “Members” or “membership meetings” refers to these meetings.
Membership meetings shall be held through virtual or internet CHAT-VIDEO meetings unless otherwise specified.
Quorum – Membership
The Quorum for membership meeting shall be (25) voting Members in attendance.
Voting – Membership
A majority vote shall determine any action, motion or business at a membership meeting. Each Member shall have one vote.
1. A juried Membership Show shall be held annually.
2. Current , active members may enter the members show.
3. At each Annual Watercolor Society of South Texas Membership Show there shall be given an award designated by the Board.
At the discretion of the Board of Directors, the Society may have Open Shows in addition to the Annual Membership Show. The Open Show may or may not be juried.
SWS (Southwestern Watercolor Society) Annual Members Exhibition
All WSST Active Members are encouraged to enter the annual SWS Members Exhibition held in Dallas Texas every year. This is a juried exhibition. WSST Members who are selected in the SWS, will gain a point towards signature status in the WSST. Selection of a WSST Member for an award in the SWS will be awarded additional points towards WSST Signature status.
Qualification for signature status and point awards will be announced at the annual WSST Members Show. Qualification and application for Signature status should be in writing for review by the Board of Directors.
Other shows may be held at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
Fees – Exhibits
The Society may charge entry fees for all shows to defray the exhibition expenses, such fees are to be set by the Board of Directors of the Society.
Policies – Exhibits
All WSST exhibitions must be juried. The Board of Directors and/or President shall select the Juror. Members do not serve as jurors of WSST shows.
Members in the region who have been accepted in any WSST sponsored exhibition will be expected to serve as hosts and sitters during any WSST exhibit. Only Active Members shall receive Signature Points.
The exhibition shall award prize money at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
Prize money and points toward WSST signature status shall be awarded in the following categories:
- Best of Show
- First , second and third place
- Honorable Mention and Awards of Distinction (6)
Recipients of awards may only be awarded in a single category. Winners may accept multiple awards in special recognition awards at the discretion of the Board of Directors. A single point towards WSST signature status will be awarded to recipients in the above categories.
Notice – Proposed Bylaws and Changes
Bylaws may be changed at the sole discretion of the Board of Directors. The President has final authority over any changes made to the bylaws. Proposed Bylaw changes must be emailed to each member. A vote may be made by Active Members in response to any changes made by the President.
Changes are sent by email to Active Members. Proposed Amendment or Bylaw changes by Active Members shall be voiced either at meetings or by email directly to the Board and President. Proposals shall do so just prior to the meeting at which the vote on the amendment (s) is to take place. Amendment proposals may be made only through a majority vote by the Board of Directors.
Voting – Proposed Bylaws Changes
The Bylaws may be amended and changed by 2/3 majority vote of all Active and WSST Signature Members present at the next immediate regular business meeting of the membership after the publication of the proposed amendments; nonresidents of Nueces County, Texas, may vote by email received on or before the next regular membership meeting after such publication. No vote may be made by proxy.
Charter and Policies
Under Charter granted by the State of Texas, the Society is a nonprofit Texas Corporation and shall operate under the management of no less than four directors.
Policies of the Society
1. It is the policy of WSST not to sponsor any dues paying Member of the Society to conduct workshops. However, any WSST Signature Members who have earned signature status in organizations such as Southwestern Watercolor Society, American Watercolor Society, National Watercolor Society, Rocky Mountain National Watermedia Society or Allied Artist of America (Watercolor division) will qualify as a paid lecturer/demonstrator/workshop instructor for WSST.
2. It is the policy of WSST not to hire Members for any services with the exception defined in Policy 1, above, and the services of the Treasurer and the Website Manager.
3. Additional committee members and WSST Members may attend any Board Meeting but shall not be voting Members of the Board of Directors.